Click on the appropriate tab below to see the Renewal Requirements, Process, Fees and Continuing Education (CE) for a Registered Nurse.
Registered Nurses are renewed by the department in three groups:
Group 1 – current license will expire at midnight, Eastern Time, April 30, 2014
Group 2 – current license will expire at midnight, Eastern Time, July 31, 2014
Group 3 – current license will expire at midnight, Eastern Time, April 30, 2015
The department will renew your license upon receipt of:
- Completed Renewal application
- Required fees (renewal and background screen fees).
- Click the “Renew Online” button.
- Enter your user name and password.Please note your user ID and password were mailed with your physical license. If you are having trouble accessing your account, please try the alternate login process, located at the bottom of the login screen. If you require further assistance, please contact the MQA Communication Center at 850-488-0595.
- Click “Renew License” from the column on the left hand side of the page.
You may RENEW ONLINE if:
- You do not need to change the status of your license.
- You have a credit card/debit card to complete the transaction.
- Your license status is not ‘Military, Active’.
- If you are renewing your license after the expiration date and your status still indicates ‘Clear/Active’ or ‘Clear/Inactive’, you will be assessed a delinquency fee. The delinquency fee will be in addition to your renewal fees.
- If your license was ‘Delinquent, Active’ or ‘Delinquent, Inactive’ before the renewal deadline, it will be moved to ‘Null and Void’ status after the renewal deadline and you should contact your Board office for instruction.
You must RENEW BY MAIL if:
- You need to change the status of your license.
- You need to pay using a cashiers check or money order.
- You do NOT have a credit card/debit card to complete the transaction.
- You need to submit your Continuing Education with your renewal (Radiologic Technologists only)
- Your license is in ‘Military, Active’ status.
The process of renewing a license may take two to three weeks. Initiating contact to confirm the receipt of fees or the status of your license prior to this time will not expedite the renewal process.
A licensee who remains on inactive status for more than two consecutive biennial licensure cycles and who wishes to reactivate the license may be required to demonstrate the competency to resume active practice by sitting for a special purpose examination or by completing other reactivation requirements.
If you are reactivating your license, please refer to the Laws & Rules governing your practice for additional requirements.
Note: Do not submit certificates of completion of in-service hours to the Florida Board of Nursing. Please maintain records of attendance for 4 years for auditing purposes.
If renewing BEFORE your license expires, your fees will be:
Active to Active $80.00
Inactive to Inactive $65.00
Active to Inactive $65.00
Inactive to Active $135.00
Active to Retired $55.00
Inactive to Retired $55.00
If renewing AFTER your license expires, your fees will be:
Active to Active $135.00
Inactive to Inactive $120.00
Active to Inactive $175.00
Inactive to Active $245.00
Active to Retired $165.00
Inactive to Retired $165.00
If renewing 120 day Notified Delinquent, your fees will be:
Active to Active $225.00
Inactive to Inactive $185.00
Active to Inactive $185.00
Inactive to Active $280.00
Active to Retired $200.00
Inactive to Retired $175.00
Continuing Education (CE/CEU) Requirements
|Required Subject Area||Required Number of Hours||Important Information|
|General Hours||22||Can be live or homestudy|
|Medical Error||2||May be live or homestudy; Must be board approved. Approved courses are listed in cebroker.com|
|Laws and Rules
|2||Laws and Rules will be due beginning with the biennium expiring 2015. The biennium in which the Laws and Rules course is due your general hours will total 20 (licensees expiring in 2014 are not required to complete laws and rules until their 2016 renewal)|
|Domestic Violence||2||Domestic Violence is required every third biennium and the hours are in addition to the 24 hours required for renewal|
First Biennium Renewal: RNs initially licensed by examination during the current biennium are exempt from the general CEU requirements for the first renewal. Those licensees must complete 2 hours of medical error, 2 laws and rules and 1 hour of HIV/AIDS.
RNs initially licensed by endorsement during the current biennium and took the exam in another state within the biennium are exempt from general CEU hours. Those licensees must complete 2 hours of medical error, 2 hours laws and rules and 1 hour of HIV/AIDS.
RNs that do not qualify for the exemption in their first renewal must complete 1 hour for per month or partial month remaining in the biennium from the date the license was issued. These hours must incude 2 hours of medical error, 2 hours laws and rules and 1 hour of HIV/AIDS.
Board Rule Approved Providers
- Florida Board approved courses for Nurses can be found at www.cebroker.com
- Course approved by a state or national organization empowered to accredit nursing continuing education is acceptable
Other Methods of Obtaining Continuing Education per Biennium
- Presenting continuing education as a lecturer or an author
- Serving as an expert witness
- Board Member serving on a Probable Cause Panel of the Board of Nursing
- Completion of credit courses in Nursing at an accredited institution of higher learning